University of Maryland - Physics Department
Physics 401 - Quantum Physics - Fall 2011
Monday/Wednesday/Friday 10:00-11:00 am
Wednesday 11:00-11:50 am
- Course info:
- Final Exam :
- The final exam will be held in Chemistry 0115 from 8:00 am to 10:00 am on Wednesday December 21st..
- The exam will consist of quantitative and qualitative questions, similar to the homework and the two mid-term exams.
- You will not be allowed to use any books, notes, study guides, cheat sheets, or calculators. Your exam will include the following three formula sheets:
- Exam Review (Monday December 12th): Tom Langford will go over the final exam from last year, posted here.
- Suggestions for studying for the exam:
- Review the homework and the homework solutions, posted below.
- Review the final exam posted above.
- Review the formula sheets posted above. Make sure that you understand the meaning of all the equations which appear there.
- Review the suggested reading in Griffiths and/or Liboff. Note: the suggested reading assigned at the beginning of the semester did not include the hydrogen atom, but this topic will be included on the final exam. This material is covered in Griffiths Section 4.2 and Liboff Sections 10.5 and 10.6.
- Review your class notes and my lecture notes (posted below).
- Homework #1, and solutions.
- Homework #2, and solutions.
- Homework #3, and solutions.
- Homework #4, and solutions.
- Homework #5, and solutions.
- Homework #6, and solutions.
- Homework #7, and solutions.
- Homework #8, and solutions.
- Homework #9, and solutions.
- Homework #10, and solutions.
- Homework #11, and solutions.
- Homework #12, and solutions.
- Lecture Notes:
- Week 1: Two-slit experiment, complex numbers, differential equations, wave dictionary, statistics.
- Week 2: Fourier Series, Fourier Transform.
- Week 3: Differential equations, wave dictionary, postulates of QM, solution to the time dependent Schroedinger eq.
- Week 4: Particle-in-a-box, stationary states, wavefunction expansion, Dirac delta function.
- Week 5: Free particle, gaussian wave packet, Dirac orthogonality, review of postulates.
- Week 6: Exam review, Dirac notation.
- Week 7: Dirac notation continued, momentum basis, Hermitian operators.
- Week 8: Uncertainty principle, Dirac notation dictionary, simple harmonic oscillator.
- Week 9: Simple harmonic oscillator continued, matrix mechanics, two-state system.
- Week 10: Two state continued, transformation of bases, matrix properties.
- Week 11: One dimensional potentials, bounds states, scattering.
- Week 12: Orbital angular momentum.
- Week 13: Orbital angular momentum continued, central potentials.
- Week 14: Bohr model, hydrogen atom.
- Week 15: Hydrogen atom, continued.