Curious what we've been up to lately? This page will keep you up to date on news about us, both as a group and individually.
- Oct 22 - October Social - Hiking the Billy Goat trail
- Oct 12 - Profesional Development Luncheon with guest Mary Ann Esfandiari from NASA
- Oct 3 - Women in Pysics partner with the Society of Physics Students for a Q&A session about How to apply to Grad School
- Sep 29 - Brown Bag Luncheon
- Sep 16 - September Social - Movie Night
- Aug 30 - Congratulations to Prof. Marina Leite, Assistant Professor at IREAP/MSE, for receiving this year's Ovshinsky Sustainable Energy Fellowship from the American Physical Society
- Aug 26 - Fall Welcome Potluck
July 27 - Rachel Lee's dissertation defense. Congratulations, Dr. Lee!
Title: "Guided Migration and Collective Behavior: Cell Dynamics During Cancer Progression"
Advisor: Prof. Wolfgang Losert
- June 12 - Summer Social: Zoo Trip
- May 7 - End of the Year Social Event - High Tea at Reynold's Tavern in Annapolis
- May 2 - Congratulations to Donna Hammer, Director of Student and Education Services, for receiving the Outstanding Advisor for a Student Organization Award for her role as UMD Chapter Advisor of the Society of Physics Students. Read more in the Department News.
- May 2 - WiP Officer Elections with an Ice Cream Social
Congratulations to our 2016-2017 officers:
President Caroline Figgatt Treasurer Liz Friedman Outreach Coordinator Holly Tinkey Mentoring Program Coordinator Megan Marshall Webmaster Monica Gutierrez
- Apr 27 - Together with the Office of Diversity and Inclusion, we hosted a workshop, It's Not Just You: Overcoming Impostor Syndrome.
- Congratulations to Dr. Gretchen Campbell! Dr. Campbell was recently named co-director of JQI.
- Apr 19-21 - WiP visited local middle schools through the GEMS of PG County program. We brought space-themed demonstrations and talked about current research with the students in the program.
- Apr 13 - Professional Development Luncheon with guest Dr. Zaira Nazario [Photo]
- Apr 9 - April Social Event - DC by Foot Walking Tour of Dupont and Embassy Row
- Mar 25 - March Social at the Board and Brew
- Mar 24 - Women in Science Discussion with Dr. Patricia Babbitt, UCSF.
- Mar 9 - Professional Development Luncheon with guest Greg Stasiewicz from Physics Today [Photo]
- Mar 3 - Coffee Discussion with Dr. Arati Dasgupta, UMD alumna
- The Spring 2016 issue of the CSWP/COM Gazette highlights our Women in Physics mentoring program as an example of providing role models for women in physics. This issue also features an article on our UMD colleagues Graduate Resources for Advancing Diversity with Maryland Astronomy and Physics (GRAD-MAP).
- Feb 23 - Professional Development Luncheon with guest Dr. Crystal Bailey from the American Physical Society [Photo]
- Feb 20 - Social Event at the United States Capitol [Photos]