- Students have profound difficulties with describing the physics of sound waves and use incorrect models of mechanical waves.
- Students hold on to these models during traditional instruction.
- Modified instruction can make a difference: Quantitative Tutorials in Activity-Based Physics:
- We have had success using the method of elicit-confront-resolve in McDermott-style tutorials to help students develop the correct models of mechanical waves.
- Using video helps students visualize the effects of sound waves and develop their conceptual understanding of wave mechanics.